Newham House was built in 1878 having been designed and occupied by the noted local architect John Thomas Newman FRIBA. It is a large, two-storey, detached house designed in an eclectic Queen Anne style with decorative influences from the Aesthetic Movement. The north elevation has a varied roof line with a deep coved eaves cornice, comprising from east to west a lucarne with hipped roof; a semi-conical roof over the angled two-storey entrance bay; and a broad hipped gable with deep eaves with bargeboards. A verandah was added to the rear of the house by 1920 and the single-storey conservatory to the south-west was given a tile roof sometime after 1939.
Our design concept is to create an extension that enhances the original house by retaining a significant portion of the original 1920s single storey pitched roof extension and verandah structures but introduces a contemporary link extension between them. The newly altered and refurbished structures, linked by a new single-storey contemporary kitchen and dining room extension, is set behind a new pergola structure that creates a continual visual rhythm of vertical posts around the house and garden. This gives the rear elevation and garden perimeter a coherent unity. The new extension will replace the existing conglomeration of structures added in an ad hoc way in the early 20th century. The flat roofs of the new extension and refurbished verandah will allow more of the original house rear elevation to be appreciated, currently obscured by low quality mono-pitch roofs. A new glazed roof to the verandah will allow more light into the rear rooms of the main house and the pergola in front of the new single storey extension will give some protection from direct sunlight in the summer.