This house was the painter John Singer Sargent’s home and studio until his death in 1925. The Arts and Crafts / Dutch style house was unappreciated over subsequent years and had undergone a number of misguided and ill-conceived alterations, barely leaving any of the original detailing untouched.
The brief required additional accommodation to be housed within a new extension that included from basement up, staff rooms, kitchen, garage, bedrooms and bathrooms. This extension adds almost half again to the total volume of the original house. Theis and Khan worked closely with David Mlinaric on the design of the interiors. The original studio room at first floor has become a single space again and the nineteenth century plan has been reinstated. Pilasters set at intervals around the studio walls have been installed to match the originals rising up to the cornice above which flies the barn-like roof.
This room is now a sitting room and gallery, showing both antique and contemporary art. A new state of the art cinema room was created on the lower ground floor, opening onto the landscaped garden designed by Peter Wirtz.